SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday 22 September 2020

My rekindled Twilight addiction

 Hi all.


I have recently slipped back into my Twilight addiction and I am not mad about it at all. It’s like I’m 14 again with a deep love for Edward Cullen and hating Jacob all over again. There are a few reasons for this rediscovered love and that’s what we’re going to talk about here.

I have a confession to make. I had never read the books until this year (I know, I am going to hang my head in shame). I started reading Twilight when I was around 15 because I loved the film so much but I never really got into it and I only got about half way through. Then, at the age of 25, I bought the books again, a nice, new, fresh set and began reading. Again, I got to around the halfway mark and stopped. A few months later, I was determined to finish this series so I picked up where I left off and I have now finished them!

I have been really enjoying the books. Twilight was a bit of a struggle to get through, for reasons I don’t know, but I have flown through the other 3. I have loved immersing myself back into the Twilight world and being Team Edward whole heartedly. There are a lot more details in the books and changes the films made which made total sense in the film but made more sense if they had kept it as the books intended. Although New Moon is my favourite book, I have been fully invested and loved every second of reading Breaking Dawn. I feel like it was really well written and I am so immersed in the story (even though I have seen the films several times over).



**

I now want to take you back to the first round of my Twilight addiction (I did not think I would be addicted again as a 25 year old woman but here we are). I was 12/13 when the film was released in cinemas and I despised it because it was so hyped up and I thought it was ridiculous that girls were falling for this rubbish. I was totally the I’m NoT LiKe OtHeR GiRls girl when I was 13, and let’s be honest, I can be to a certain degree but I don’t care if I like something everyone else does, because if that brings me joy, then who really cares. I slipped into it by buying the book, saying “I’ve heard the book is way better.” Spoiler alert, I didn’t read the book I bought, caved and watched the film when it released on DVD. Let me tell you, I bloody loved it and that started the whole addiction off.

Someone I was friends with at the time was also obsessed and we would buy everything with Robert Pattinson on and watch all the interviews and videos we could find about him and Twilight. I even made a Team Edward t-shirt and I had something on it about being sparkly and it was so cringe that I only every wore it out once and it was mostly covered. Even then I know how embarrassing I was. I also made a shirt with just Robert Pattinson’s face on and I was going to wear it to the midnight showing of New Moon but I backed out at the last minute.

Then from there, I saw each film either at the midnight showing or on opening weekend. When Breaking Dawn Part 2 was released, a friend and I went to the cinema at 2:30pm for a Twilight marathon in which they showed all the movies up until midnight where they had the premier of Breaking Dawn Part 2 and that was a particular cinema highlight, it was such an amazing experience.

Since then, the Twilight hype faded and everyone moved on with their lives, including me. I would watch them every now and then but I wasn’t a die hard fan anymore. That was until everything was sparked back up with the announcement of Midnight Sun and that’s when Twilight made its return to the fans.

My addiction has started again from reading the books and I have been having a lot of Twilight themed TikTok’s pop up on my for you page and on Twitter occasionally. I’m definitely not mad about all the videos because I am loving them and a lot of them are really funny. Having Twilight popping up a lot again sparked something in me that made me realise how much I loved it. My Team Edward heart sang when I heard Midnight Sun was coming out and I can’t wait to read it (I’m waiting until it is released in paperback because I’m not a huge fan of reading hardback books.)



I haven’t gone full on Twihard but I am definitely back on the train of loving the series again and I am very happy about it. Let me know what you think and if you’ve noticed more Twilight activity on social media that’s making you obsessed again!

Thanks for reading and until next time. Bye!

Joanne xx

1 comment :

  1. I'M SORRY WHAT?! YOU NEVER READ THE BOOKS UNTIL THIS YEAR?! OMG. THE BOOKS ARE SO MUCH BETTER!

    ReplyDelete